Todd's Odds & Ends War Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strength of Schedule

2 posters

Go down

Strength of Schedule Empty Strength of Schedule

Post by Admin Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:52 am

@dbott22, trying to get back to your "Strength of Schedule" question to see if it can be implemented into a calc.
The TeamRanking seems to provide a handicap number of some sort which appears to be around 0.5 for NFL teams in the middle of the ranking (place 15-17).
What if we just took that as the handicap for each team and applied it in college as well. In college the number is bigger due to the difference in the caliber of teams.
For instance, if SMU has a SoS=2.0 and Temple SoS=-11.8; then the difference would be 13.8 in favor of SMU so add two TD's for SoS. In that game, SMU was favored by 23.5 and if you tack on the 13.8 that would mean SMU should win by 37.3. SMU ended up winning 55-0 and easily covered; but maybe it works somewhat that way??
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://toddsoddsandends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Strength of Schedule Empty Re: Strength of Schedule

Post by Admin Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:58 am

I just looked at about 15 NCAAF games where I jotted down the SoS for each team prior to the game, and it seems like it is about 65% in the right direction of the score; but is unpredictable.  The higher the handicap difference (5.5 or over) did seem to have an impact.  For instance, the Rice @ Tulsa game, The SMU @ Temple game, and the Penn St. @ Ohio St. game were all over 5.0 difference and would have been useful to integrate with the spread to determine the winner.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:13 am

that's what I was kinda thinking . i wonder if Vegas makes there spread on power ranking the teams . let say Georgia #1 vs #133 Kent st . For every spot lets say a half a point so Georgia be favored by 133-1 x 0.5 so Georgia be favored by 66 1/2 ....if #1 Georgia played #66 Smu ..65-1 * 0.5 equals Georgia favored by 32 ..and lastly just for reference if #1 Georgia played #10 Tennessee . 10-1 * 0.5 Georgia be favored by 4 1/2 ...im not even sure 0.5 would be the number or if this is how the spreads are calculated I just know that I've looked at past point spreads and usually the highest spread in a given year is in the 50s for a top team to bottom team . i havent even really looked. into this much so my number 0.5 could be off but i will spend off season trying to look into the calculation you gave and maybe my own touch

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:16 am

Keep looking into Sos cause at the moment I really can't think of away to come up with a number unless I just ditched yppA and went with power ratings

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:22 am

my spreads last year was -0.6 off the real score vs 1.6!vs Vegas . These calculations were from ( week 5-13) . so to make up that 0.6 i dropped home field advantage by ,0.5 and changed by denominator by 0.1 .

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:24 am

My variation week 5 -8 was around -2 or -3 points to low and week 9-13 were usually a couple points to high but evened out to a final 0.6 off the real score .

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:27 am

Vegas consistently is off about 1-2 points off every week so say they have Kentucky favored by 6 they would actually win by 4 -5 . All things considered

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:09 am

I always thought Vegas spread was pretty basic to get it close, then took into account home field and key injuries....for example, I think if you take (Away Team Avg Pts Scored + Home Team Avg Pts Allowed) / 2 ... then that would give you the Away Team's score....and then do vice versa for Home Team to get their score...that gives O/U; then tack on homefield for the spread. That get's almost dead on Vegas most of the time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbott22 Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:07 am

im going thru my picks at like 4 am lol..And out of all the games today I've only got 10 favorites out of 43 games I feel like my system isnt weighed correctly when it comes to large spreads I lose alot of Games betting on underdog +14.5 or more im not sure if i also like picking underdogs because that's my mentality but i lose too much picking underdogs in large spread games

dbott22

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:36 am

For the Fla St @ Wake game, I have Vegas spread calculation coming out to Fla St -10.5. Not sure where they got the other 9.5 points unless it is SoS because the SoS difference is +14.6 in favor of Fla St. Wake has a median Home Advantage rate so I don't think that is playing a part. Wake does have a few dinged up QB's, but I believe a starter is playing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:37 am

According to that 14.6 SoS for Fla St, I think I would take them -20.5
Admin
Admin
Admin